How to Narrow Your Options to the Best Granite Shower Products June 08 2016, 2 Comments
Why the Wrong Cleaning Products are a Granite Shower's Kryptonite
It's hard to believe that a product like natural stone which can take a perpetual beating from Mother Nature, can be destroyed at the hands of the wrong cleaner, but it happens. Granite may be one of the hardest rocks there is, but if you're using the wrong granite shower products to clean it, you'll get a glimpse at just how vulnerable it really is.
What Can Go Wrong
- Streaks - The slick, glossy surface of polished granite is susceptible to streaks, caused by many no-rinse products, or ones which may be harder to rinse off.
- Residue - Product that is left behind during cleaning can accumulate over time and leave an unsightly film.
- Etching - Granite shower products containing vinegar, citrus or other acidic substances may possibly etch the surface, and lead to costly repairs.
- Discoloration - Cleaners with bleach boast superior cleaning and disinfecting powers: the fact is that bleach can weaken the structural integrity of your stone, break down the grout and discolor your granite.
- Dull appearance - Products that are abrasive or acidic can wear down the shine and protective sealant on your granite.
How to Shop For Granite Shower Products
There is a big difference between an ordinary shower cleaner and a granite shower cleaner; read the fine print as most state that they're not safe for use on natural stone. Shower enclosures made from cultured marble, acrylic or fiberglass are non-porous and virtually indestructible, but the beauty of natural stone, and what gives it its depth, shine and unique look is the fact that it breathes, has layers and as with everything else found in nature, is vulnerable.
The best way to safeguard your investment, avoid costly repairs, and clean and freshen your granite shower, is to use products specifically formulated for use on granite and other natural stone surfaces, by a company that understands the properties of stone, through years of experience in the industry.
How to Use Granite Shower Products For Best Results
- Spray a ready-to-use product daily, immediately after showering.
- Wipe down the shower surface with a rubber squeegee.
- For use on a dry shower, spray down the area and wipe it down with a wet sponge or cloth, and allow to air dry.
Mold and Mildew Remover
- For light soiling, spray on product and wipe down with a scrubbing sponge or terry towel.
- For heavier soiling, spray on the product and allow it to sit for a few minutes to penetrate.
- Agitate the surface with a non-abrasive sponge or scrubber.
- Rinse with clear water. Wipe down with a soft cloth.
- For heavily soiled granite or grout, dilute the product according to label directions.
- Wear protective eyewear and gloves.
- Apply the solution liberally with a sponge.
- Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes.
- Gently agitate with a non-abrasive brush or scrubbing sponge.
- Remove the soiled solution with a soft sponge.
- Rinse well with clean water.
- Clean and dry the shower thoroughly.
- Apply product generously, using a terry or lambswool applicator.
- Allow product to stand for 5 minutes.
- Buff the surface dry with a clean terry towel.
- A second coat may be applied after a waiting period of 45 minutes.
- Allow the product to cure for 48 hours prior to using your shower.
For more help with caring for every granite surface in your home, download our complimentary Guide to Complete Granite Care Guide below!